Sunday, September 9, 2012

MM SAYS ALL'S WELL IN HARTS CORNER

The proprietor of the Blue Moon has finally come up for air. It's been a busy summer. When I added catering to the offerings at the cafe, I hoped it would grow into a nice sideline business. That little adventure has about run me ragged this summer.

Laurel Cameron, the Skaggs granddaughter from over Lovelady way, drove over to look at pictures of wedding cakes, reception hall decorations, and food I'd done for others. She was a joy to work with and a beautiful bride. She had friends who were getting married, giving baby showers, or doing some other party giving, so I was swamped with jobs. All these were added to a garden party for Livy Vandergriff, a birthday party for Jewel's grandson, and a pizza/dessert party for the football team at the end of summer's practice. Man, those teenagers can eat.

The one gig I didn't get was to host a wedding reception for Jewel and Harold. I guess I didn't set a very good example when Miguel moved into the house with Bethy Rose and I, because she moved in with Harold soon after.

That carriage house at the Judge's where Harold lived, was not very big so it was expanded with a second story holding two bedrooms, a new bath, and lots of storage cabinets and closets. Downstairs the kitchen was expanded by knocking out a wall to the one bedroom down there. That added some room at one end of the living room for a nice dining area. And when Jewel added her quilts and other decorative talents, that place became the cutest love nest around. Still, it didn't seem to spur those two toward the aisle.

Miguel drives off early each morning for the first patrol of the day before opening the Sheriff's Office. That is if Maude Crowley doesn't beat him to it. The Department dispatcher, I swear, knows everything that happens in Harts Corner before the dust settles.

Bethy Rose has made it through the first week of school without running away from home, turning my hair gray, or her love life (at age nine?) ruining her entire life. I think I overheard her telling a friend that Jason spoke to her yesterday. Praise the Lord! This household may survive in spite of itself.

Anyway, things are running pretty smoothly in town. And, to tell you the truth, that makes me more than a little nervous. I'm waiting for the next shoe to drop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment