Thursday, June 14, 2012

BELLS AND SHELLS

Well, Miz Barbara, at least I showed up on time tonight. You were AOL yesterday, not a peep out of you. If you remember, we had a deal when you and that Regina cooked up this blog idea; we would join you and write about ourselves, our town, or whatever we felt like bitchin' about. And you, backslider already, were to offer news about the book, your book-related appearance when they begin, and some help for newbie writers out there.

You are on our list, Missy. I don't care that you had an HOA Board Meeting, taught one of your creative writing classes, went to the dentist, planned a carpet committee meeting for next week, and may be planning a trip to Timbuctoo or however you spell that darned place. You are on our list, Missy! You'd better show up when it 's your turn again. Did I hear you ask if you couldn't just slip in between me and Aunt Lutie. No! A turn is a turn, and that's it.

So, did you folks hear about our conjuring lady, Bess? She only gives healing salves and love potions as far as I know--none of that zombie stuff goes on around here. And lots of people in the county believe she can help the ailing and the heartbroken. Aunt Lutie swore by her--even tried to push Miguel and I together with a little powder she had Bess concoct. I went out to her house once, wanted to know what Aunt Lutie talked about. It was more spooky than I can tell you--and I won't. You have to read the book to find out all about our Bess.

Bess came into the Blue Moon today. She's always dressed in long dresses in blues, greens, and purples, and she wears a turban, just like she did the first time I saw her as a child. But it's those shells jangling like bells on her ankles that still, to this day, gives me the chilly-willies at the sound.
She'd been over to Save-Mart I could see by the plastic bag she carried. It looked like she'd picked up a jar of that snuff she pokes into the corner of her jaw--nasty habit I say, but I would never tell her my feelings. She always picks up a copy of a gossip rag too--says without a TV, she has to keep up on the low-life of the world.

Usually when she drops by the cafe, I serve her a large glass of sweet tea--on the house--and she never ordered anything else. But today was different. She asked if I had any Texas Cavier made up.

Folks do enjoy this dish but I usually only serve it on holidays, or on a day when we have a picnic-type lunch. So I had to tell her I didn't have any. She grumbled a bit, then gave me what I swear was an evil eye of some sort. I checked the pantry and cooler right quick, and hurried out to ask Bess if she had time to wait for me to mix up a batch.

Bess gave me the biggest smile, even kissed me on the cheek which made me want to check my face in the mirror, afraid I'd find some pox of some kind, when I handed her a large container. I added a bit of cream cheese to her sack and reminded her to refrigerate it as soon as she got home. She even insisted on paying for it, in spite of my protests. Truthfully, I would have rather she took it as a gift. Then I'd know I didn't have to worry about any spells she might put on me.

Serve this as a part of your salad bar, or as an appetizer with an assortment of crackers.

East Texas Lumberjacks Caviar

1 (15-oz) black-eyed peas               1/4 tsp. salt
1 (10-oz can diced tomatoes           1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  and green chilies, drained             1 (8-oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 garlic clove, minced                     3 green onions, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped         1 tomato, chopped
2 tbsp. vegetable oil                        2 tbsps. fresh lime juice
Chopped cilantro to taste

Combine beans, tomatoes and green chilies, garlic, onions, oil, lime juice, salt and cumin in large bowl. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours. Spread softened cream cheese onto a serving platter. Spoon bean mixture evenly over cream cheese. Spread chopped green onions, tomatoes and cilantro over top.

MM has to sign off now. I need to go outside and check the sidewalk in front of the cafe. I'll feel better if I don't see any hex signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment