Saturday, June 9, 2012

FIXIN' THINGS

There are some things in life that simply defy fixin'. I, Lutie Mae Butler, can attest to that. Honey, I heard that question--how could I be here on this blog when you know for certain I died from smokin' practically all my life, and had a nice send off to the only cemetery in Harts Corner?

I couldn't fix that little problem of passing away, but do you actually truly believe everyone troops right on to the Pearly Gates (or that other unmentionable place)? Or can you be open-minded enough to think it might be possible for a spirit to hang around, especially a loving aunt who is overwhelmed with a desire to protect the woman-child she called her own?

I wasn't afraid of dying. What I feared was the ones I would leave behind, mainly MM, needing me for guidance, maybe to give her a little push when she holds back more than is good for her. I am here to tell you my spirit is present, overlooking my favorite people and loving it. It does drive Mary Margaret crazy, I admit. She says I'm smothering her, showing up at inappropriate times, and preaching on the need for a wedding much too strongly. She's promised not to listen and so far has kept her word, drat her.

Sometimes, like today, I'm sitting on the top of the kitchen cabinets silently observing what's happening in my...eh, MM's Blue Moon. She's bustling around beginning lunch prep while Jewel--that's Jewel Tate, a lady no one at first believed would ever be an employer because she was a slave to Chester Tate for too many years--rolls out dough for her tasty biscuits. I think she calls them Angel Biscuits and, hard as it is for me to admit this, they are the best biscuits ever served in the Blue Moon.

Wanna try one?

Jewel Tate's Angel Biscuits

5 c. flour                              2 yeast cakes, dissolved in 2 tbsp. warm water
2 c. buttermilk                     1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. sugar                          2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda

Mix all ingredients well and store in refrigerator. Use as needed.

Form into balls and pat into desired thickness onto floured board. Cut with biscuit cutter.

Bake on lightly buttered sheet for 10-12 minutes at 425 degrees.
***
From what I've seen, the customer's consumption means this recipe doesn't usually make it to the refrigerator. Just add some of that fresh blackberry jam or peach jelly you fixed in the spring and you have an excellent addition to breakfast, or the perfect treat with a pot of tea.

I've got to disappear. Even spirits need a little nap now and then. In my case, it takes a long rest so I can be ready to keep an eye on Mary Margaret. That gal can get into more trouble.... You'll find that out if you read "Aunt Lutie's Blue Moon Cafe."

No comments:

Post a Comment