Friday, June 22, 2012

REMIND ME WHAT I'M DOING HERE

Miz Barbara isn't her perky self tonight. She's had a busy, busy day (working on the next Aunt Lutie Book and mopping floors), and a sad night. If you didn't know, she/I do much more than keep track of Harts Corner and all the characters living there. I shepherd elderly students in creative writing classes and a special memoir class. One of them was held tonight--and I am a little down about it.

Eight years ago I was asked to sign a contract to teach this memoir class in an assisted living retirement community in a nearby town. I began with six students. It quickly grew to fifteen or more members and went on for the next six years at that rate. Then my initial students began to become ill, move closer to children, or leave this earth for the happy hunting grounds. I have been down to six to ten students for these last several years--which is a concern to me.

What do you do when you are down? One of the things I do is put on some nice, colorful clothes, add a smile and go forward. Tonight I dressed in white slacks, a pink shell, and a soft, sheer blouse in pale pinks, lilacs, and blues. I signed in with a big smile and the receptionist told me how summery I looked. My class members said they felt lighter just looking at me. But...

Tonight I had three students. They are also concerned about the diminishing numbers. The activities director says we will hang in there and see if it doesn't improve. In the past, I made up flyers and had them delivered to all the residents; I had a few visitors but only one who stayed on. I've made excuses for the time--nights from seven to eight--as many elderly want to be in front of their TV at that time, or in bed. My students have spread the word...we have all done what we could to promote this.

And that's what writers must do for themselves. Treat your writing like the important thing in your life it is. Dress each day as if you are going off to work--either neat casual or dressier--not your pajamas. Promote your craft, your books, your classes. If that fails or if you receive a rejection, don't let it erase the love of writing. Put on that smile and enjoy what you are doing--in spite of few members in a class, or less acceptances of your writing for publication--because writing is what you want to do with all your heart.

Whatever happens to my class, I have learned so much from the wonderful people who have attended. Just as I hope you will learn all about the people in Harts Corner--and come to care for what happens to them. Or want them to get their due justice.

That's what I'm doing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment