Wednesday, June 20, 2012

SMALL TOWN LIP

Good evening, folks. It's a mighty nice evening here in Harts Corner. Although we were busier that all get out at the Blue Moon today, Jewel, Harold and I made quick work of the clean-up, money tallying, and doing a few things necessary in order to get breakfast started the next morning. Then I rushed home (we don't live above the Blue Moon anymore, but that's for another story) to help Bethy Rose with her homework, make sure I hadn't forgotten some sport or social event I was supposed to chauffer her to, and then we went into the kitchen to prepare supper before Miguel showed up.

Bethy Rose doesn't have to work in the Blue Moon the way I did. I never resented the fact it was necessary that I be the second half of a two-woman team but I didn't want my foster child to do that. I make sure she can play softball on a school team, have sleepovers with friends, and be the funny child she is. Although I didn't push her, Bethy Rose has always wanted to cook with me--maybe it all started with those sugar cookies you'll read about in my story. Anyway, she still wants to join me in the kitchen most every night.

We cook and talk about the day's happenings. I listen a lot to what happened in this class or that. It blows my mind that she doesn't just have the same teacher all day long like I did. In the third grade the administrators feel students should begin to learn what changing classes, lockers, and adjusting to different teachers is like. I don't agree that kids should be shoved toward that higher education mode so soon. I mean, shouldn't they be allowed to just be kids? But I don't say anything as I don't want her to be torn between loyalties to me and the "system."

"Hey, MM, my friend Meagan, says people are talking about you and Miguel not being married and him living here with us."

That loose lip stuff always gives me heartburn. Gee Whiz, don't they get it--times have changed; women and men have been free to live the life of choice for some time. It's not like we, well, at least Miguel--okay, me, too--haven't considered marriage. We've got more going here than just a romp in the hay, folks. I wish people around here could just mind their own business, or at least keep their mouths shut around their kids.

"People should have enough to do with their own lives, Bethy Rose, than to gossip."

She was quiet as she tore up spinach for the salad. As she used the can opener on the mandarin oranges and dumped them in the drainer, her forehead showied lines of concentration. "You might not care if people talk but I don't like it. They make it sound like you and Miguel are bad people."

I put the casserole in the oven and leaned against the counter, carefully choosing my words. "You know better than that. I work hard at the Blue Moon, my cafe. I am respected as a businesswoman in Harts Corner. Miguel is respected because he's very good at his job as Sheriff of this county." I stepped over to the bar that separated the kitchen from the dining area, and pulled her into my arms. "Bethy Rose, I don't want you to worry about us--or this arrangement. We're not going anywhere--and one day I'm sure Miguel and I will have that wedding Aunt Lutie and everyone in this entire town want to see happen. But, for now, we are good like we are, aren't we?"

"I'm okay with this though you do know I want to be a part of a real family." She stuck her tongue out at me with a silly grin. "Besides, I told Meagan she could tell those gossipy old biddies to go suck an egg!"

Aunt Lutie who once said that the acorns don't fall far from the tree. How true that is. I'm going to have to find out a way to steer this child down a more ladylike path.

In the meantime, we had dinner ready when Miguel arrived. It was one of our favorite casseroles, one I use for catering Tex-Mex luncheons. I had to work a little to cut this down for a family-size dish...a large family, or a container of left-overs.

Green Chiles Rice Casserole 

1 cup chopped onions                                  1 tsp. salt
4 tbsps. olive oil                                           1 tsp. pepper (or to taste)
4 cups cooked rice (1 cup raw)                    3 (4-1/2 0z) cans chpd. green chilies
2 cups sour cream                                        2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup small curd cottage cheese                 

Cook onions in margarine until soft. Mix with cooked rice, sour cream, cottage cheese, salt and pepper. Grease a 13X9X2-inch baking dish and put in layers of 1/2 of the rice mixture, 1/2 of the green chilies and 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven about 25 minutes, uncovered.  Serves 6-8.

Ya'll can make this a day ahead, either bake it and reheat, or refrigerate until time to bake. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment