Sunday, June 17, 2012

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, MIGUEL

I don't remember my own Daddy as he left when I was pretty young. I have a vague memory of his smile and the last kiss he gave me before he walked out the door. Mama had no one else in her life before she died, and Aunt Lutie became mother and father to me. I knew what father's should be like, the things they should do, like play baseball with their sons (or daughters), attend their band concerts even if their child stinks, and always be there to make things right when a child feels the whole world has turned on them.

Bethy Rose Wheeler's father was not a good influence. His wife died when his daughter was six, the same age I'd been when I lost Mama. But he wasn't the one she could lean on; he leaned on her. Or maybe I should say he made sure she was doing for him, at his beck and call. That poor child rushed home from school to keep a house clean, cook a meal, iron clothes--whatever a housekeeper/cook should have been doing for a man. He forgot to buy groceries when he was going to be gone for a long time, so Bethy Rose found a job weeding for Tillie Treadwell, and sold cola bottles she found on her way to and from school. It was a down right shame when Harts Corner, and Bethy Rose, found out just what all Dan Wheeler was selling on the road. She shouldn't have had a father.

But her life changed when she came to live with me as my foster child. Miguel Kinkaid rescued her from her father and that life. He sat down with her and explained just what was going to happen and, when he realized I was determined to keep the child in Harts Corner, he stood beside me. He has been her father figure for over a year now and just the other day I swear I heard her call Miguel "Dad." If so, he will be so jazzed.

Sean Kinkaid is Miguel's father. If you could see this retired cop with his children, you'd know what kind of fathers, and mothers, they will be, or are. He is a no-nonesense sort of guy but I've seen him pull a grandson up on his lap and hug the tears away more than once. I've also seen him embrace his sons, tell them he's proud of them, and he respects all of the women in his life--he's even included me in that circle. He's a faithful man to wife and church and country--probably in that order. But he can also pull the funniest jokes on his loved ones, sing a baudy Irish song, and chase his beloved Mercedes around the kitchen. And I absolutely believe he would lay down his life for those people he loves.

I know what kind of father Miguel will be to our children, too. Okay, I will say yes--when I'm ready and yes, I do want to have children of my own. And, Bethy Rose, I do understand that I am not getting any younger--and you want to be a big sister. I promise you all it will happen. But not today. Tonight I'm serving Miguel his favorite pot roast dinneer and will top it off with his very favorite dessert. Want to come join us for a slice of cake?

Southern Carrot Cake

2 cups flour                                            1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar                                           4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder                              1-1/2 cups veg. oil
2 tsp. baking soda                                   3 cups grated carrots
2/3 tsp. cinnamon                                    1/2 cup chopped nuts (pecans for me)

Mix together all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. In smaller bowl, beat eggs and add oil. Combine dry ingredients with egg mixture. Add carrots and nuts. Pour into 3 greased and floured 9" cake pans. Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes  (or 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes if you're in a big hurry).

Frosting 

1 8-oz pkg. cream cheese                        1/2 stick butter, softened
1 box powdered sugar                             Finely chopped pecans (optional)

Cream together cream cheese and butter. Add sugar and beat well. Frost lightly between layers, then ice sides and top. Sprinkle nuts over top if desired.

I'm hiding the leftovers from the rest of you, gals. That goes for you, too, Aunt Lutie--but I have no way of knowing if I can keep you out of anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment